1.21.2009

Me vs. The Power Company

Hmm. When I saw the state of affairs at the end of my driveway this morning, I got very angry. 


There was no indication whatsoever that a mountain of dirt would block my access to the street, for any length of time. Or that a trench big enough to fit a full grown man would be dug next to the gutter.


I got especially irritated, when I noticed the traffic monitor hanging out in my neighbor's driveway, and resting her beverage on his mailbox.


Did I mention that a full-grown man can fit in that trench?


I finally got Kellan and myself all bundled up and marched out there to talk to the traffic monitor. I immediately felt bad for being mad that she was using the neighbor's mailbox as a table, because she was really nice. I told her that we were not notified about this project, and what if I needed to get out of my driveway this morning? What if my son was sick?


She said neighbors said the same thing on the last street they dug up in my neighborhood. She said the power company should have notified us, and recommended that I call and complain. Then one of the backhoe operators came over and asked if I needed out right now. I said that I would need out in a couple hours and he assured me that would not be a problem. 

The trench is now filled, and I will be able to get out of my driveway. But I didn't get much of anywhere with the power company. The operator noted my complaint and said it would be passed along to the Public Utilities Commission. I asked if I would receive notification that this issue had been dealt with. She indicated that I probably wouldn't. 

Great. Great customer service. 

3 comments:

  1. I'm amazed that they dug a trench that deep so quickly. They don't really ever do anything quickly. Good luck, I think they're (customer service) trained to treat people like they don't really exist and they don't really have problems. You're just imagining there is a deep, annoying trench in front of your house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That is quite the trench! But good for you for standing up for your rights! You have every reason to complain! I hope this mess is cleaned up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Astounding!! Don't most people go to work or take their kids to school in the morning? It seems like it should actually be illegal to rip up a road without notification. Hope they finish up soon.

    ReplyDelete